Sunday, November 14, 2010

She is captivated by the magic of this city. The sidewalks of this old neighborhood compose symphonies beneath her feet and offer her performances platforms when she wants to dance and soar and sing and explore. And she is ignited, on the evening adventures that she takes when the world is just too heavy for the shoulders of a child; when the perfect, winding neighborhood ways open up to her like the words on the pages of storybooks; when the picture windows of these old houses are lit and glowing and beckoning her to just be a child and embrace herself-and love herself.
And as the crisp, crunchy, perfect autumn leaves scratch and scuffle between the pavement and her rain boots-she celebrates her victory, in escaping large institutions that are full of carbon copies, and manila folders, and the lies that we tell ourselves every morning; that our worth is our salary, and our cubicle the only way. And her pros should be written across the skies, as an anthem for youth and joy; her paintings should provide life long retreats for those just like her-who refused to die for conformity-even if it meant seeming foolish. Even if it meant never being understood.
She is so much stronger than I am, and in my cowardice ways, I tried to abandon her-and strip her of her dignity and beat her until she bled-honestly believing it would benefit me in some way to let her go; to "straighten up" and cleave instead to the monotony of this world-to the gray. But she waited at my feet with loyalty and patience-even when she did not understand. I took her from the comfort of cotton pajamas and bound her in chains, and pencil skirts, and panty-hose that were entirely too tight. I suffocated her. I stifled her. I told her she was unworthy.
I sold away her sequined shirts, and jewels for button ups and slips. I crucified her ears with things that children should never hear, and told her she wasn't worthy of survival. I kicked her when when she was down-when she was only pausing there, next to my chair, to rub my feet after a hard day; to ease my pain, when she was broken and bruised because of the malicious lies I was feeding her. I invalidated her and scraped out her soul and her innocence. I tore down her dreams and told her she was unacceptable to the world; that she would never be loved.
And God...struck me down.
He lured my poisonous heart here-to the facade of square brief cases, serious conversations, and hard lines, surrounded by black ink-and harsh numbers. And there was a sick pleasure that coursed through my veins at the thought of being bound down to a schedule; walking around in soul-crushing heels, with my day lined out-down to what type of food I would put in my mouth and how many meals I would skip to achieve the perfection I was striving for. And after so many pounds of caked on makeup-to cover up the tear streaks, and failed attempts. Christ came. And when he came, he wrapped me up...like a child. He stripped away the anger in me and the fear; and disposed of the shards of broken things.
He ignited a flame in her that conquered me. And what the world never accepted he embraced. And he painted a fairy-tale around her and celebrated with her, and her resurrection. And he unbound her wings, and set her toes free.
And today she is unashamed. This perfect city thrills her spirit like a Broadway show as she watches the sun sink fast below the skyline; sending up hot, vibrant, streaks of magenta and tangerine-that the night sky chases like the tail of a kite. And she is no longer bombarded; looking at the world through cloudy windows shaped as angry, black rimmed eyes, and a heart full of hate. She is validated finally; and center show where she deserves to be...because she is the heroine of every book, the lead of every musical, the breath of every song. She is a fearless, and brave warrior; with Christ on her side-who he died to save, who he killed all the angry ugly darkness in me to revive. And if you listen, you can hear her laughter and joy and her toes dancing...along these magical, winding roads that were paved just for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment