Wednesday, February 16, 2011

For Laila

aTonight my stomach is in knots and my heart is pounding, and I can't sleep. And I am amazed at how something that seems so trivial...(like the birthday of my dog) could trigger my anxiety and send me spinning into a full blown attack.
But tonight, my heart can't seem to stop begging God:
"Just one more year God. Just one more year! Please God, I didn't get enough time with her. Just one more year."
To some people, I'm sure this seems strange; to some people, pets are pets and people are people, but in our house, our animals are part of the family; invited up into bed with us and everything.
But over the years, like everyone, I think I've taken not just that, but many things and people I love for granted. I hate all the days that I was more concerned with what I didn't have than with what I did.
It sounds so cliche I know; but as of right now I can't stop spinning-because I just realized how fragile time really is. It's heart-wrenching.
You wake up one day, and everyone is gray and everyone is gone; fading away in picture books and you wish you had one last moment there...so you suck the sweetness out of every memory, because the memories are all you have left.
I weep.

I weep because I hate myself for all the shallow days; or the days that I considered a monotonous droning procession. The truth is...they each were a gift; glory that slipped right through my finger tips...
A day with my mother,
A day with my family,
A day with my grandparents,
My dogs

Or Zach Harrington-

Before his life ended.


And I weep tonight.

I weep.

Because for the first time in my entire life...I get it. Life is so real; so short...so precious.


For the first time in my life, I'm finally more concerned about the time I lost with the people I love the most in the world-than the things I've constantly chased, but never really needed to begin with.

Laila, I love you.

Happy Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment