I thought I felt!
Some stir-
Perhaps summed up in naivety;
Some false belief.
Oh!
You, who I drowned myself in
Like thick strokes of acrylic-
Every color;
Life
Rich fibers,
Depth;
All encompassing-
You.
And low I've been since I've
Been "found".
For when I was lost,
You surrounded me.
I unveil my heart in their
Piano chords
But there still is no sound;
Nor face of you
That I can trace.
I stroll the streets
You've paved beneath me
And search the trees-
But your face is not there.
And Your
Hands I can't feel
And the silence I can't bear
When I'm on my face for You.
Was I not more found
When I was lost?
Or
Did You just not come in?
Or was it this dreary monotony
That devoured it all
And stifled
And silenced Your glory?
That was once the only sound
I painted to-
Morning light so bright
I'd soak in it
Pruning my fingers in the presence of You;
Every brush stroke, Your magnificence-
In awe,
My fingers danced;
In every sip of morning coffee I'd savor You.
And I was more
In Your presence
In the lyrics of
The Fray
Or Alpha Rev
Or Train;
Than this tune of restraint.
Was that not You?
Did I mistake You
For some enticing sin?
Was that not Your love
When I prayed to You
Anyway
Though I couldn't fully comprehend Christ?
Was that not You?
Did you not come in?
Did You not abide in me
Then?
Did You forget
Our garden talks and evening walks;
Were they nothing?
Did they mean nothing?
Because it's all nothing to them.
Are you the God who condemns?
Because I'm trembling under You
Wondering if I'm really
A child of Yours or not.
Because the one they say you are
Is not the one who used to
Move my hands through blades of grass
Or teach me about the lilies.
In terror I
Pause
Beneath you
Because one day I became too unworthy
To ask you to stop in
And have a cup of tea with me
Like You used to.
Was this "finding You"?
This apathy?
Because in the dream you promised me
I'd never be thirsty again.
And I'm so thirsty
In this never-ending drought without You.
So I'll sing loudly
And praise You-
Every ringing note
Close in prayer and secretly know
That I haven't felt You
Since I lost you,
Somewhere in between the hymnal and the church pew.

No comments:
Post a Comment